Fabio Donati’s research focuses on the magnetism and quantum coherence of surface-supported individual atoms and molecules. His main achievement is the discovery of magnetic stability in single rare earth atoms, a result that proves the possibility of downscaling magnetic memories down to the ultimate limit of an atom. His experimental expertise includes X-ray Magnetic Circular Dichroism (XMCD), Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM) and Electron Spin Resonance (ESR).
“There are only two possible conclusions: if the result confirms & hypothesis, then you have just made a measure. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you made a discovery"
- Enrico Fermi
- PhD in Radiation Science and Technology, Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
- Master in Physics Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
- Bachelor in Physics Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
- 2017 - Current
- Research Professor at Ewha Womans University, Research Fellows at the IBS center for Quantum Nanoscience
- 2011 - 2017
- Post-Doc at Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2010 - 2011
- Post-Doc at Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- R. Baltic et al., “Superlattice of Single Atom Magnets on Graphene”, Nano Lett. 16,7610. Click Here
- C. Wäckerlin et al., “Giant Hysteresis of Single-Molecule Magnets Adsorbed on a Nonmagnetic Insulator”, Advanced Materials 28, 5195. Click Here
- A. Singha et al., “Magnetic Hysteresis in Er Trimers on Cu(111)”, Nano Lett. 16, 3475. Click Here
- F. Donati et al., “Magnetic remanence in single atoms”, Science 352, 318. Click Here
- F. Donati et al., “Magnetism of Ho and Er Atoms on Close-Packed Metal Surfaces”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 237201. Click Here